Help With Heating Bills





Help from the Michigan Home Heating Credit

The program that is formally known as The Home Heating Credit (HHC) was created by the state of Michigan in partnership with gas and utility companies to help low and moderate income individuals and families living in Michigan with paying for the cost of their home heating bills.

The Michigan HHC program is also provided with federal government funds through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, known as LIHEAP, which is run by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. In addition, under provisions set forth in the State Income Tax Act, the Department of Human Services (DHS) administers all of Michigan’s various Energy Assistance programs, and the Michigan Department of Treasury processes the Home Heating Credit claim and issues payments to eligible families and individuals.

Criteria for apply for help

Like all assistance programs, there are some conditions that will need to be met in order to be able to receive help from the Michigan Home Heating Credit. A full list can be found when you use the contact information below. However, some of the conditions to the program include you must file for the credit by September 30, there are various income limits, and the applicant must maintain a full time residence in Michigan. One of the pieces of good news is that both renters and homeowners can receive assistance for paying their heating bills.




How do I get paid from the Michigan Home credit worth

It varies based upon your personal situation. Some applicants of the program will receive a check that will be used to pay their heating bills. Oftentimes this will occur and the applicant will receive a check if their home heating bills are included in their monthly rent payments, or if their heat service is in someone else's name at the time the applicant files their claim for the credit. If you are eligible to receive a check from the state of Michigan for your Home Heating Credit, you may request that the funds be deposited directly into your financial institution or bank account.

On the other hand, most claimants of the credit will receive what is called an energy draft to use as payment toward current and future heating bills. If you receive the draft, be sure to give the draft to your utility company or heating provider before the heating credit drafty expires. The energy draft can only be used to help with paying gas or heating bills in your or your families name and may not be cashed in for money.

Dial  the Michigan state energy relief agency at (517) 373-2035 to learn more or to apply, or you can ask your utility provider.



Custom Search


[Home] [State Programs] [Thermostats] [Heating Oil Plans] [Weatherization] [Ways to Lower Bills] [Contact Us]